Our vision at The Arc of Douglas County is that all Kansans will have the supports the need to be accepted as successful members of their community.
Led by those we serve, our mission is to support and empower Kansans with developmental disabilities and their families through person centered, advocacy based services. Through community partnerships and networks–we will provide education, encourage leadership, and promote self advocacy in order to build a community of acceptance.
In support of this vision and mission, The Arc of Douglas County has adopted the following statements of belief:
- We believe in the inherent value and dignity of all people.
- We believe that all people have the right to choose for themselves where they live, work, and play.
- We believe individuals, families and professionals are partners in planning for and accessing educational, employment, housing, and recreational opportunities.
- We believe in the value of each individual’s ethnicity and diversity.
- We believe each person can contribute to his or her community.
- We believe an individual’s disability should receive attention only when relevant and always in a respectful manner.
- We believe all people have rights and responsibilities as members of their communities.
- We believe all students should receive an appropriate education in their neighborhood schools.